Dr. Karen Y. Wilson-Starks is President of TRANSLEADERSHIP, INC.®, she has more than 30 years of experience as a trusted advisor for executives in corporations, the US Military and Federal Government, and non-profit leaders in faith based organizations and Foundations.
Dr. Karen Y. Wilson-Starks is the host of the twice weekly podcast, The Voice of Leadership, author of Lead Yourself First: The Senior Leader’s Guide to Engaging Your People for Greater Performance and Impact; and creator of the online course: Teams Empowered for Dynamic Organizational Results. Her upcoming TV show, Dr. Karen Speaks Leadership on Raven International Network will air on Roku and Amazon Fire.
Educated as a Clinical Psychologist, Dr. Wilson-Starks’ previous positions include serving as an active duty Army Psychologist at Walter Reed Army Medical Center in Washington, D.C.; the First Infantry Division at Fort Riley, Kansas; the U.S. Military Academy at West Point, New York; operating private practices in a variety of locations; functioning as the Chief of the Psychology Service for the Exceptional Family Member Program in Frankfurt, Germany; and working as the Chief Assessor and a Senior Program Associate for the Center for Creative Leadership (CCL) in Colorado Springs.
- Every experience is your teacher. What lesson did you learn?
- I included thought questions so readers can apply the lessons to their lives, such as “What works for you, given your strengths, talents, and how you are wired.” It’s not about me. It’s about them.
- I want my signature stories and examples to inspire people. I give examples of how I applied that leadership lesson and how I used it with a client.
- As a busy consultant, I wrote on airplanes, in hotel lobbies, everywhere!
- You don’t have to know everything at the beginning. You learn along the way.
- Remember, you already add value to others.
- Most people minimize the value of their super power.
- Writing a book is a big task that can seem overwhelming. You have to break it into small steps. Write a chapter or a chunk.
Podcast: Play in new window | Download